Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I haven't been so good about riding this week

For a variety of reasons, I have not ridden to work so far this week.
Monday, I overslept a little and I'd rather not be trying to ride when I'm in a hurry.
Tuesday, I had a meeting and needed to drive.
Today, I just needed to drop the car off at the shop.
A good list of excuses if I do say so myself.

So, I've been thinking a little more about how to select a bike. Selecting a bike seems to follow a two basic rules each time, only the criteria used as guidelines change as you as a biker develop.

First, and most importantly, the motorcycle's capabilities need to be a match to your own. That's why I have a bike that performs predictably and smoothly. If I had a R1 or CBR1000RR or anything of the like, it would respond to inputs I don't have the skills yet to control or even know that I'm giving it.

Second, you should also ask yourself what function you want out of your motorcycle. Do you want to cruise the highway? The city streets and commute? The twisting hills and canyons? Do you want the ride to go on when the pavement ends? Ask yourself these questions and the answers will guide what style of bike you will look for.

I thought of this because I've been thinking about why I like my bike, and what I don't like about it. I think after a few more miles and a few more uses of my Ninja, I will have a better idea of what I want out a primary bike and will have developed the skills necessary to open a wider range of motorcycles to choose from.

No comments: