Monday, April 21, 2008

A couple of "Oops" moments

So I had a great commute. Lovely weather and polite drivers made it nice and easy. Despite the "easy" part of it, I managed to make a couple of mistakes that make me kick myself. Not literally.

First, I got a little distracted at a light and forgot to roll on the throttle before easing off the clutch lever. Pop. Stall. Restart engine hopefully before the people behind me realize what's going on.

The other one was another clutch issue. Note to new riders (yes, this includes me) roll off the throttle when you up shift. When you don't (like me) you can give it a little too much gas and make the front tire a little light when you re-engage the clutch. I haven't done as badly as I did the first day I had the bike, when I lifted the wheel momentarily, but it's still unnerving when you do it.

Lastly, I will mention a bit of advice that served me well today: always do a head-check before changing lanes, the mirror can only tell you "no." When I wanted to change lanes on the way home, I checked my mirror: clear. I turned my head: Ford Explorer. I stayed where I was.

As weather continues to get nicer, I am willing to bet I'll see more and more biker out. To the riders: ride safe. To the motorists: look for the motorcycles, please.

No comments: