Thursday, April 17, 2008

Finally Back in the Saddle.

Its almost like withdrawal having to drive the past few days. With a change of almost 40 degrees today I got a chance to practice layering. Unfortunately, I also got a chance to practice stashing my extra clothes in my desk at work, as I didn't remember to bring any luggage to pack it home in. I only saw one other bike out this morning, but there were enough out this afternoon to not bother counting.

The new thing for the day was I had to put my foot down on I-85 because traffic was stopped at the point I get on. I think the minor traffic jam was due to a motorcyclist running out of gas and having to move over. He was getting back on his bike and started it moving right before I was about to pull over and see if he needed any help. I think he ran dry because there was a guy walking back onto the interstate with a can of gas.

I also found out management's opinion of my riding to work. My boss has called me a "dead man walking" since I started riding to work. But, lately he's backed off on that one a bit. I ran into his boss this afternoon and he told me that he used to ride a lot, but would never come downtown. Then, a little later, I ran into one of the company's owners and when he commented on the nice weather I responded by telling him that's one of the best reasons to ride. After a little pause he said, "Yeah, I kind of worry when I think about you on that thing. Stay safe." It reminded me why I ride with all the gear on, even in rising temperatures: my safety is important to a lot of people (especially my family and, gasp, myself) and taking care of that is just the responsible thing to do.

No comments: