Thursday, April 3, 2008

"Reserve" tank

I broke 3000 miles on the bike today. I've been riding for almost 2000 miles. That is all.
Well, not really... I still need to write up the ride. I know it's boring to say that it was uneventful, but boring is very good when talking about motorcycle commuting. I suppose it wasn't actually uneventful, just safe and ordinary. The weather took a down turn over the course of the day, dropping the temperature 10 degrees by the time I was headed home from when I left this morning.
One bit of advice for people learning to ride, learn to find the petcock while moving and be able to switch the fuel tank to the "reserve" without having to hunt for it. I was merging with traffic on the way home, when I felt the bike shudder a little under me. Since I have run myself out of gas on it several times, I know what it feels like when the carbs are sucking on air. If I hadn't practiced flipping the valve under the tank, I would have been "that guy" holding up traffic as I restarted my bike.

No comments: