Thursday, March 13, 2008

It Begins...

... at least for me it does. As I mentioned earlier, I won't be doing the "bike for a month" per se, you get my as I can and when I want to report. Today was nice enough to ride in, so I hopped on the bike this morning and decided to start the documentation process. With the odometer reading 160 and some change, I wanted to see how far out of whack it really is. The EX250 has a reputation for being about 7% off on speedometer/odometer readings.
I only recently have felt prepared to ride in for work, since I work downtown and leave in the dead of night to get here I waited until I picked up a mil-spec reflective riding vest for high visibility. I have to keep in mind that just because it is more likely for drivers to see me doesn't mean they actually do. [Case in point, the first time I ever wore it, a lady pulled out right in front of me while staring straight at the vest, only reacting to me when I braked hard.]
On the ride in, I noticed a few other people had determined it was a good day to ride: two Harley's and two sport bikes. For the most part the ride in has not been bad to few other times I've undertaken it, but today was the first day I've been able to do it without two to three layers on to combat the wind you find at 70 mph on the highway. I have also discovered that people don't like you when you're only going 5 over in the left lane, I got the high beams from a couple of pick-ups and then glares from the drivers as they sped around me.
With my fingers and neck getting a little chilly, I made it to work without anything out of the ordinary to report. Hmm, 185 and some extra on the odo. As it's only 23.5 miles on that route, it seems I have the normal 7% error.
Now, I just need to survive the traffic at 5 this evening.

No comments: