Thursday, March 13, 2008

Introducing my bike

It's not a Gixxer, but it plays one on TV.

One thing that I really ought to do is explain what sort of bike I'm riding. It's a 2005 model Suzuki GS500F. While even people who don't ride motorcycles have often heard of the Katana and GSX-R lines, the GS500F is a bit more obscure. It's the last member of Suzuki's GS line, a series of air cooled bikes that competed with the Honda CB and Kawasaki KZ lineup. The GS series were practical all-around bikes. All three of these lineups have faded from popularity as motorcycles have become more specialized. The GS500 survived by disguising itself as a GSX-R with some plastic body panels. Except for the decals, you have to look at it pretty closely to tell it's not a Gixxer.

A GS500F doesn't act like a GSX-R when you're in the saddle, however. While the GSX-R line was designed for winning races, the GS line was designed to be comfortable, practical street riding bikes. So while a GS500F is pretty quick by car standards, it is still the sort of bike that's forgiving and predictable enough to be a first bike. While fast enough to keep up with my 1986 Corvette off the line, it isn't the sort of thing that will lock the brakes with the slightest touch or give you an unprovoked wheelie. It's the sort of bike that a beginning rider will still need to treat with respect, but not fear.

Another way in which it differes from the GSX-R is the riding position. You're not leaned forward like on a race replica bike. The riding position keeps your body upright like a cruiser unless you make an effort to lean forward. Unlike a cruiser, though, your feet are more or less under you. It's fairly comfortable to ride for about an hour or so, but the seat starts to feel like a 2 x 4 after that. You'll see me trying ways to improve that soon enough.

Since the picture was taken, I've made a few minor changes to improve it for commuting. One, I've put some homemade bar risers on it. Two, I've equipped it with a set of Cortech saddle bags. These let me carry around a rain suit and various other things that I might need for comfort on the ride or for work. I also use a magnetic tank bag, which is just the right size to pack a lunchbox into. You can fit a surprising amount of luggage on a sport bike. I've thought about getting a matching top bag that snaps onto the saddlebags, and I can also wear a backpack if I need to carry even more stuff.

No comments: