Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Final tally

So, the month long challenge is finally over - I completed my last "make-up day" today. For those who have just started following the blog, I assigned myself three extra days of commuting to make up for one day I had to bring a truck home from work to cart off a broken water heater and two days the bike was not running. I also stayed home one day of April and attempted to work from home while waiting for the replacement water heater to show up. I didn't assign myself a make-up day for that one, since working from home is even better from a gas conservation standpoint and still a bit of a challenge.

This post, I'm just going to put up what I accomplished by the numbers. I'm going to spend some more posts over the next few days drawing conclusions.


Final odometer reading: 10,165.5
Number of miles ridden: 1,919.2
Gallons of gas bought for the bike: 35.6
Total fuel costs: $123.17
Average miles per gallon: 54

The actual miles per gallon may be a little higher as I had a fairly empty tank at the start and right now the tank is nearly full, and I used so few gallons that an extra 1 or 2 gallons in the tank could mean another 1-2 mpg.

Now for some extrapolating - how much gas did I save by doing this? Here's a little more math from the above numbers.

Number of gallons a 20 mpg car would have used commuting: 96.0
Average cost of a gallon of gas for April: $3.459 (normally, I'd round to the nearest cent, but the price of gas must have a 9 at the end)
Cost to buy gas for a month of commuting: $331.93
Amount of gallons saved: 60.4
Difference in gas spending: $208.76

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, nice blog. I'm on the verge of moving to a new job which I'll have to drive to - about 40 miles each way, so I'm debating the idea of buying a bike to cut my fuel consumption. What do you think after commuting for a month? Is this something you'd be happy to do long term or are you sick/afraid of it?