Sunday, February 6, 2011

Forthcoming subject matter...

I don't have a full post, but I do want to let readers know of the few things I have rattling around in my brain, waiting to be written.

First, I have a new helmet on the way, a Scorpion EXO-700. Once that gets here I'll put up a quick post giving my initial impressions, to be followed by a longer review when I have the chance to try it on the bike. This is my third Scorpion helmet, but the two prior were -400s, so there are a few differences.

Second, in honor of getting a new helmet, I'm working on researching the origin and development of motorcycle helmets. A quick Google search has left me with a bunch of articles about the use of helmets, but no real information. (Short aside, law school has ruined my ability to read and accept statistics at face value. For example, motorcycle fatalities have decreased since 1973 while helmet laws have increased. What possible reasons for this correlation exist?)

Until my review and the history of helmets are completed, I leave you with the question: what state instituted the first mandatory helmet law in the US? (Answer in the comments.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For any who would like a hint to answer the question, take a look at this link. http://www.iihs.org/laws/helmet_history.html