Monday, June 1, 2009

Back to the Commute

We've been having some nasty weather, with rain and wind, over the past month. I haven't been riding as much as I would like because of all that. Well, that changed last Thursday. We live in a county where we have to have our cars' emissions checked every year. If a car fails its test, the owner must have it fixed before the registration can be renewed. On Thursday my Ford Tuarus failed its test. At 206,000 plus miles, I think the car has had a pretty productive life over the last 10 years. Also, the cost to have the exhaust system replaced is higher than the value of the vehicle (not to mention the other repairs that would need to be done soon.)

In all, the chapter of my life involving that car is closing and we need to find a new way for me to get to work. Motorcycles to the rescue! Fortunately, we don't have to spend the money to replace my cage; all we have to spend is the money for a high quality rainsuit to make inclement weather commutes more comfortable. As of today, I've joined the very small ranks of those whose primary transportation is on two wheels.

No comments: