Thursday, April 16, 2009

SHAD luggage - first impression

The SHAD luggage arrived yesterday. I'm pretty busy with a book deadline and the MegaMeet coming up, so I can't install it right away. But I couldn't resist pulling it out of the box and having a look. Here are my first impressions.

The very first thing I noticed is that it's big. Each side case is 42 liters. You could fit a helmet into one of these. A single side case looks like it's about the same volume as both my current saddlebags and my tank bag put together. They'll definitely make my bike more useful for running errands, or if I want to go on a road trip a couple days long.

The quality looks pretty good too. There was a scratch in the powder coating on the mounts in one place, looks like it may have happened in transit. The cases themselves are a fairly nice looking matte finished plastic. The frames look like they've been welded together with a MIG by someone who knew what he was doing. It's not the most immaculate welding I've ever seen, but it looks like it'll hold up and there isn't too much spatter. By the way, the bar for "the most immaculate welding I've ever seen" is a pretty high one, as my former employer had a YAG laser welder that seemed able to defy the laws of thermodynamics.

I'll put it to one of the real tests of quality soon enough - seeing how well it fits the bike. But it looks like a pretty comprehensive kit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You do realize that I'm going to have to come down and see this, right?