Monday, February 16, 2009

Motorcycle Exotica

Who out there thinks that a perfect Valentine's Day should be spent going out and drooling over motorcycles with your spouse? If you raised your hand, please continue reading.

I say "exotica" because we weren't going out to look at the common names in motorcycling, well known names but still not ones you see daily on the road. We started the day out with saying we just wanted to stop in at our local BMW dealership. That quickly turned into stops at a massive used bike dealership on the other side of the city followed with a brief stop at a Harley dealership to ask for directions to a Ducati/Aprilia/Moto Guzzi dealer.

Why do I find it important to tell you about this? Simple, as you ride you gain more insight into what it is you want from a bike. Once you have the seat time and the skills to move on, you also have a better idea of what will be comfortable for you. These two things (comfort and needs) are your guiding light for the next bike. The bike's power will be less of a concern, but I still wouldn't recommend jumping on a race replica, 1000cc+ sport bike as your second ride.


Enough of this, what bikes did we like? I found Ducatis to be far more comfortable than I remembered and one like this ST4 would be great for sport touring.

My wife found the Monster series (this and the new ones) to be marvelously light and comfortable.



But lastly, I think she found one that she'll get next, assuming we can find one in our price range when it comes time to buy. I present the unmistakable Aprilia Shiver.



No comments: