Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Final Shoulder Update

I've already posted about getting the Ninja back into road worthy shape, so I'll post about getting myself road worthy again.

I went to my orthopedic surgeon yesterday afternoon for another check-up on my shoulder and heard one of my favorite lines of the year: "Your shoulder is doing better now than if I had given you a new one." So, almost four months after the crash and following just over two months of physical therapy, I have a clean bill of health and nearly 100% range of motion back. I say almost because it still hurts at the extremes of the range of motion, but I can't see any need to flex that far. I also need to keep up the strengthening exercises for a while to make sure my shoulder remains stable.

I've been back on the bike once on a nice Saturday afternoon and hit the parking lot to run through some of the MSF exercises and I'm looking forward to getting back on more regularly as the weather gets nicer. (With the encouragement of both my doc and my physical therapist, who also rides.) The only caveat I was given about riding was being told to carry their cards with me in case it happens again.

Ride safe.

No comments: