Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Gift Season

Around this time every year I start seeing Internet list of gifts to give for any and all demographics. A quick Google search shows that other people have compiled lists for motorcyclist gifts before me. I'm going to give it my best shot anyway. ;)

One idea would be the Crampbuster. It's kind of like a poor man's cruise control and a great way to relax your hand on the long haul. I haven't used one, but I have talked with riders who will swear by them for touring with and keeping your wrist from cramping up on high-mileage touring.

Another useful thing to have on your motorcycle is a bungee net, like Bikemaster's stretch net. It comes in colors to match your bike, too. I have used this to carry things like an extra helmet or a two-gallon fuel tank.

The next item I have for touring is another Bikemaster product, a mini-foot pump. It's compact and light so it packs well for touring. You never know when your tire might lose air and need to be re-filled. Normally this happens when you are in the middle of nowhere and can't get to a gas station to use their air-pump. Mini pump to the rescue!

In the same vein, a tire repair kit would make a great gift.

For the rider who is often found out in the rain, try finger squeegees. I don't want to think about the times last summer when I got caught by that little bit of rain or, worse yet, the wet roads and the mist that gets kicked up by the traffic around you. Every time that happened I told myself I would order these as soon as I got home. Still hasn't happened. If your biker is like me, these are for you.

The last useful item I will add to the list is a chin skirt for the helmet. Some manufacturers have things like this already built in, but more often you get to add your own. I found this little item to be one of the best ways to help keep my face warmer on the colder commutes. It really cuts down on wind and debris getting into your helmet.

Finally, if none of these sound right, find out what brand of gear they wear. Most makers have a line of non-motorcycling apparel as a way of showing your brand loyalty.

Note: I have no affiliation with any of the sites linked above. This post should not be construed as an endorsement of any specific retailer or manufacturer.

No comments: