Monday, July 14, 2008

Finger on the trigger.

Something I've noticed about my riding style has changed in recent weeks. I've gotten a little horn-happy. I've used my horn as many times in the past seven days as in the first six months of riding. I don't think it's that there are more drivers who need to be alerted to my presence, I think it's that I notice more drivers who might need a reminder.

This is part riding. As you get more experience and build more muscle memory, your brain can process more of what's going on around you. Now, does this mean I should be using my horn more? No, but it does mean that I'm more aware of possible avenues of trouble. It means I have the time to both react and draw attention to myself, rather than just react.

This is also why we practice, read articles and books on technique, and critique our own riding. The earlier we can catch problems or mistakes, the earlier we can commit good motorcycling practices to our memory and improve our riding just that little bit more.

I guess my point to this whole rambling post is this:
Never assume you can't get better and learn more, and never assume that you don't need to learn more.

No comments: